Today I focused on the feature at the top of the grip. I decided to cut it off so I could shape it easily, but not before I drilled some holes for more dowels so it would be aligned when I reattach it.
Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Sunday, 24 February 2013
As I started from scratch during the week I spent this weekend going back over the same steps as before. The grip is now bulked out. I still need to do the bevelling around the thumb hole and build up the feature at the tip of the grip to get back to where I previously was.
I much prefer the thickness now, feels more substantial.
Thursday, 21 February 2013
Today I made the decision to begin the grip and stock parts from scratch again. I wasn't happy with the thickness of the stock so I've bought some thicker pvc sheets. I've also ditched the double sided tape in exchange of screws. I've also drilled holes to feed dowels to aid the alignment. These are glued on one side, now I need to wait for them to dry so I can separate it to trim them down.
Sunday, 17 February 2013
I didn't get as much done this weekend as I would've liked. I decided to cut off the top section to make it easier to deal with both the front of the frypans the main body. I then used some mdf primer to seal the mdf as I was getting annoyed with the softness of it. On Sunday I proceeded to work on the grip, building up the top, the bevelling the edge with my router. I also used a Dremel with drum sanding bit to remove material around the thumb hole.
Sunday, 10 February 2013
This week I began working on the Maliwan Hellfire from Borderlands 2. I've been pondering how to make it for a while and got most of the materials together early. I began by cutting out the outline in mdf, then used a router to create a duplicate. These duplicates are stuck together temporarily using double sided tape. I then started layering the stock end of the SMG with rigid pvc sheets, sanding the shape as I went. I then moved onto the grip, doing the same. It's taking shape well.